We all know that if we were to peek into our underwear drawer, we would see some not-so-suitable panties. There are those ones that really ride up, and there are those that seriously squish in. Realistically, some of us are quite careless when we choose our lingerie and intimate garments. We choose products based on design and appearance and don’t always take comfort into account. Yes, we all want to look pretty (who wouldn’t!) but there are lots of ways that you can have your cake and eat it too! Finding the perfect balance between comfort and style is tough, but totally doable if you keep the following factors in mind.
- The Right Material - Material should be the first factor you consider when you purchase lingerie, especially if you live in a warm climate and are physically active. If your panties aren’t breathable and keep moisture trapped underneath the fabric, you could experience any number of nasties such as yeast infections, rashes, and other not-so-fun problems.
Whether you want to work out or just lounge in your bed, cotton undergarments are your best choice. Your skin won’t be constantly exposed to sweat as the cotton panties will allow air to pass through and the sweat to evaporate. That will minimise the risk of yeast infections and rashes.
Many women are also moving toward MicroModal panties. The allure of this material is that it strikes the right balance between comfort and luxury because it feels like silk and is as breathable as cotton. The material is semi-synthetic and harvested from beech wood trees. The panties will be comfortable, won’t become too loose or shrink, and will wick moisture.
- Working Out – People wear tight leggings and exercise clothing when they work out to minimise drag and friction. As these clothes cling to the skin, ordinary panty lines can be clearly visible, which none of us want. Therefore, many women choose to wear thongs in order to avoid visible panty lines and that can be one of the worst decisions you can make for your health.
"[Thongs] are usually tight fitting and tend to slide back and forth while you exercise," says Dr. David Bank "All of this friction and heat can lead to UTIs (urinary tract infections) and vaginal bacterial infections, regardless of the fabric." If these thongs are made of silk or satin rather than cotton, you might even face yeast infections because of excess moisture (eek!).
If you’re concerned about your panty-lines peeking through the workout wear or tight jeans, buy seamless underwear. They are almost invisible underneath your pants and don’t have tight elastic bands that can dig into your skin and cause problems. Seamless garments are much more comfortable and will fit well because of the stretch and flexibility of the fabric. You won’t have to worry about your underwear moving around when you’re active or working out.
- Change Underwear Often – If you’re working out or are going to engage in intense physical activity like sports, you should consider carrying another set of underwear with you. You should change into a fresh pair of panties immediately after you’ve finished your gym workout or sports activity - because all that wetness is like a breeding ground for yeast and bacteria.
- Limit Your Use of Shapewear – The last thing I want to do here is Spanx-shame anyone, but shapewear can actually be pretty bad for you if you wear it too tight or for too long. These undergarments are tight and made from stretchable fabrics that don’t wick moisture as well as regular underwear does. If you need to wear shapewear, I recommend you use them only a couple of times in a week and be sure to wear proper cotton undergarments with it. That will help minimise the risk of infections.
- Go Commando – We all know that sleeping naked is awesome, but did you also know it is good for you? Win, win! Nighttime is a great time to let your hooha air out while you sleep. However, it's not recommended to go without panties during the day, because the seam of your pants can rub your lady bits in all the wrong ways.
So there you have it, a complete lowdown on the best underwear for your health in every situation. When I began Sasha’s Intimates, I was frustrated that I couldn’t find a pair of panties that were both healthy for me and flattering. Sasha’s Intimates is a chance to show women that we don’t have to compromise! Want to know more? Take a look at my blog post on the Sasha’s Intimates story.